Hawthorne Elementary School | Town of Mount Pleasant, NY
Mount Pleasant Central Schools
The Mount Pleasant Central School District undertook a capital improvement project that included interior and exterior renovations at Columbus Elementary School, Hawthorne Elementary School (pictured), Westlake Middle School and Westlake High School.
In conjunction with H2M Architects, DTS Provident provided site assessment, civil engineering and landscape design, construction documentation, SWPPP preparation and construction services for site improvements at all four schools. Challenges common to most campuses included constrained vehicular and pedestrian circulation routes, pick up/drop off conflicts between cars, buses and students, insufficient parking, problem drainage areas, and limited landscaping at arrival areas. Working within the limits of the construction bond, DTS Provident coordinated with project stakeholders and developed plans that provided for:
- Clarification of vehicular circulation routes,
- Dedicated bus and parent drop-off and pick-up areas
- New crosswalks, accessible ramps and walkways to improve pedestrian safety
- Expansion of parking lots with added stormwater facilities
- Enhancement of school arrival experiences through the addition of landscaping and site lighting, and
- Surface and stormwater improvements to tennis courts, play fields and surrounds.
These site improvements contribute to a safe and attractive setting for students, staff, and visitors during school activities as well as for the greater community, which may use the recreation areas when school is not in session.
Our integrated, strategic approach to project planning and implementation balances the concerns of the land owner, the community, and the environment with the specific characteristics of the site, enabling us to create intelligent land use solutions.